My husband and I love soups in the winter and fall. There is nothing like coming home on a chilly day and smell the aroma of soup and bread coming from the kitchen. I created my own version of Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana, my husband’s favorite. Since we eat healthy, I make it a little lighter in calories but without sacrificing flavor. I do it in the crockpot so all the flavors can blend in.
- 1 lb of turkey Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups of half and half
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh thyme
- 2-3 russet potatoes cut in big chunks
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to your taste
- Red pepper flakes to your taste
- Spinach or Kale to your taste, we like to see quite a bit of it!