We do this bunny rolls for Easter since last year. There was a recipe that we tried before from the Friend Magazine. We actually follow that recipe, but I do it a little bit of my own. You know how much I love my bread machine, so I actually made the recipe for the machine and made some adjustments. The kids love them, and they decorate their own bunnies.
The ingredients are:
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 5 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 1/2 tsp of bread machine yeast
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup pf warm milk
- 2 beaten eggs
- powder sugar for icing
- sprinkles, writing icing for decorating
1. Put the milk, OJ, MELTED butter, eggs and sugar in the bread machine.
2. Put flour, salt, orange peel. Make a hole in the middle and put the yeast. Select DOUGH cycle.
3. Once it is done it will look like a balloon, like picture #4.
After that, you have to take the dough out, punch it to deflate it, and roll it. Then cut it into a rectangle.
You can then cut strips about 1/4 inch think. Roll them like “snakes.”
Now to form the bunnies:
1. Make the shape of a U
2. Take the right strip and cross it over the left strip
3. Now tuck that right strip under the left strip
4. It will now look like this:
With some of the strips, cut them into smaller rectangles and roll them into a ball. Put each ball into the “loop” hole. That would be the bunny’s tummy. They will look like this:
Cover and let them rise for 60 minutes.
Bake @ 350 for 15 minutes
Meanwhile, make your favorite glaze. For this I just combined some powder sugar and some orange juice until reaching the desired consistency. Glaze while warm. The kids decorated them with store bought “writing icing” and make the bunny’s face!
They enjoyed them!