My family has pizza night on Friday nights. It is actually called “Movie and Pizza Night” because we watch a movie as a family and have a different routine for dinner. We are very informal and set the table in our family room and watch our movie. Today we watched National Treasure. The kids look forward to Fridays all week long.
Out favorite pizza dough is actually made in the bread machine. I tried different recipes, but this one never fails us, and I love it because I just toss everything in the machine and do not have to do all the work!
I have a Sunbeam bread machine, and I follow the order of the manufacturer for the dry and wet ingredients.
This recipes makes 2 very large pizzas. I make one large for me and my husband, and two individual ones for the kids.
You will need:
- All purpose unbleached flour, 4 and 1/2 cups
- 2 tsp of salt
- 2 T of sugar
- 5 tsp of bread machine yeast
- 4T of olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups of warm water
1. Mix the water, oil and sugar in the machine bowl
2. Then add the flour and the salt and mix slowly
3. Make a hole in the center and add the yeast. Make sure it does not touch the liquid.
4. Put bowl in machine, close lid and set your machine to dough cycle. Mine is number 8. Press Start
5. After it beeps (about an hour and 30 minutes) you will find this:
6. Take it out, deflate and let rest in a floured surface for about 10 minutes
After that, the dough should be elastic like this:
7. Cut dough in half. I also cut one of the halves into quarters, because I make two small pizzas for the kiddos. You can start rolling your dough. I use my hands, I really want them to look homemade
8. Put in pizza pans, shape like a circle. Red Ranger wanted his to look like a bear:
9. Preheat oven to 450. You do not need to let rise, but I do. Mine were rising for about 35 minutes, and they looked like this:
10. Put your sauce and toppings and bake @ 450 for 18-20 minutes. Make sure the last minutes you take the pizza off the pan and put it in the middle rack. Mr. Lewis likes cheese, Red Ranger likes pepperoni, and me and my husband here had a pepper, pepperoni and olive.
The kids approve!